Have you ever truly wondered what really matters to your kids? Think it is you taking them to their swimming lesson or piano practices every week? Or do you think it is the smile and hug you give them when you pick them up from school? If you picked when you pick them up then you are right.
If you were to ask kids everywhere around the world, what would be the best advice you could give to a new Mother, Father or Guardian to keep in mind when raising their child, they will think about things that made them happy or feel loved. They will usually smile as they reflect on their happy experiences and most will come up with similar responses. If you ask them to write down their answers they all had the same message. It’s the, little small things that their Mother, Father or Guardian did that they remembered and meant the most to them.
Many moms today feel that unless they are racing around, taking their kids to practices, picking them up from practices, they are not good mothers. Mothers say that they want to give their kids all the opportunities they did not have. This way of thinking may bring the mother some comfort, however it does not do the same for their kids who are potentially feeling tired, overextended, and perhaps stressed.
The truth is if you really speak to and listen to kids about this topic, they are often involved in too many activities and the result is they are becoming too disconnected to themselves and their families.
Kids really just wished more time to have fun and just play. That is not to say that they do enjoy many of their extra curricular activities but it is not necessary that they are involved in everything. Again what most kids enjoyed the most and made their hearts happy was when their parents or guardian did simple things for them or with them.
Here is a list of the top ten things kids around the world said they loved and remembered most about their Mother, Father or Guardian.
- Spending quality time just with me alone without my sister or brother around.
- Letting me play outside a lot.
- Coming into my bedroom at night to tuck me in and sing me a song. Also telling me stories about when you were little.
- Making me healthy and nutritious foods so I can grow up healthy.
- At night talking to me about lots of things like love, family, school etc.
- While at dinner talking about what we can do together on the weekend.
- Giving me hugs and kisses and sitting and talking with me privately.
- Leaving me special messages in my lunch bag or desk.
- Disciplining me cause it makes me feel like you care about me.
- Leaving special messages in my desk or lunch bag.
Kids are incredibly smart and wise and they tend to see the world more simply than we do. Maybe it is time we start taking their advice and listen to their wise words.
We probably would all feel a little less stressed and be satisfied with the knowledge that doing little things really is the answer to how to raise happy kids and it is the easy answer to what we both need.